Be Unstoppable from the Inside Out. Fuel for your Active Lifestyle.
You are powerful when you believe in yourself – when you know that you are capable of anything you put your mind to. You are beautiful when your strength and determination shines as you follow your own path – when you aren’t disheveled by the obstacles along the way. You are unstoppable when you let your mistakes educate you, as your confidence builds from experiences – when you know you can fall down, pick yourself up, and move forward.
Your power comes from the inside out. A healthy diet is part of that.
It’s no secret that nutrition is just as important as fitness for your health. Whether you’re a workout fanatic, just starting an exercise routine, or getting back on the bandwagon, it‘s important to make sure you’re fueling up with the nutrients that your body needs to stay energized and properly nourished.
I believe eating well is a constant process of self-development. To me, it means being open to learn, grow, and challenge yourself. It means learning to listen to your body and honor what it needs and how it feels. When there are so many choices, trends, and opinions it can be hard to define what is right for you. It’s a process of trial and error. Of testing, re-testing, and listening. When it comes to living with power there is one thing I know for sure: choose to fuel your life with functional fuel and you’ll be unstoppable. When it comes to performing my best both in and out of workouts, here are a few things I’ve learned that help me fuel with power from the inside out:
- Start the day with a large glass of water. Too busy to remember or living a fast life on the go? Take it with you in an unbreakable water bottle made with BPA-free Eastman Tritan plastic. My first choice on the go bottle is here. While it looks like glass, it’s not as heavy, so there is easier handling and less likelihood for dropping it.
- Coffee can help get you going, but too much will make you crash and burn. One cup does the trick. After that, I’m better off getting natural energy from movement, fresh air, and sunlight.
- A daily dose of apple cider vinegar will boost your energy and balance your stomach. Click here for my daily detox drink.
- Breakfast is essential. Taking the time for a solid sit down breakfast will help you have the power to fuel your entire day, avoid cravings, and limit late night eating. Here are a few of my favorite fast and easy breakfast ideas to fuel your busy life.
- EAT REAL FOOD. Not too much. Mostly plants. (thanks Michael Pollan).
- Figure out your daily intake goals (protein, carbohydrate, fat, calories). Aim to get it daily. I use Livestrong.com “My Plate” to record an online food diary when I want to make sure Im getting the nutrients I need to succeed. Its completely free, has a large database, and is an excellent resource. Ill keep a record for a few days on a regular basis to check in with myself and keep my healthy diet on track.
- Get those electrolytes! Sweating can cause a lot of fluid loss, which can throw off the body’s electrolyte balance. If you’ll be working up a considerable sweat, or exercising outdoors in the heat, mix an electrolyte supplement such as Vega electrolyte hydrator. This zero calorie electrolyte blend will keep your metabolism and energy up while giving you the all-day hydration you need to keep going fast. Pop it in your favorite water bottle and you are good to go.
- Protein. Protein is considered one of the building blocks of life and provides your body with the amino acids it needs to build and repair muscle. Your diet should include a healthy amount of protein from real foods like lean meats, beans, and nuts. You can also supplement with protein powders. I personally prefer protein shakes because they’re easy to make and ensure I am getting the precise amount of protein I need. My favorite is Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder. With 30 grams of complete, alkaline-forming protein per 150 calorie serving, you’ll improve strength and exercise performance and reduce recovery time between intense workouts (or long work days!). Take 45-90 minutes after a hard workout, bring with you to use for extra power for a long work day, or use while traveling to keep your nutrition on track.
- Eat every 2-3 hours helps keep blood glucose stable and to stay energized for whatever the day throws at you. I put together an entire list of my favorite all natural snacks for energy and health here. And a few of my top choices for pre and post workout eats here.
- Allow yourself the treats you love in moderation. Life is for living not deprivation. (I call it the 80/20 rule of healthy eating! )
- Hydrate responsibly all day! It is essential to stay properly hydrated before, during and after workouts and in between. If drinking plain water is difficult for you, try adding a slice of fresh fruit to your water bottle. I keep my Eastman Water bottle on hand all day to remind me to hydrate. Made with Tritan tough plastic, the bottle doesn’t scratch, break, or retain odors or stains…. no matter how hard you live or train. I try to refill the bottle at least 6 times a day.
- Vitamins. While a solid, over-the-counter multi-vitamin can help fill in nutritional gaps in your diet, I highly recommend seeing an internist and having a blood test done to check all of your vitamin levels to make sure you’re tailoring your vitamin regimen to your individual needs.
You are here to share special gifts that no one else has. You have the power and strength within you to live your best life. To do that, you must believe in yourself and be powerful from the inside out. And to really maximize your power and strength, choose to fuel right. Your power comes from the inside out. Believe it and BE IT. Be your incredible, unstoppable, self.
Other Things To Check Out This Week:
Free FitBit Local San Francisco Wellness Walk and Stretch Feb. 22nd 2-4pm. Boost your heart health and get your body moving this month. Join Fitbit Local Ambassador Caroline Jordan for a 5k walk by some of San Francisco’s famous heart art and Cupid’s arrow, followed by a stretching session. Bring a friend and enter our raffle for a chance to win a free Fitbit tracker! Register now with this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fitbit-local-san-francisco-tickets-19699764526
- My #1 Secret to Stay in Shape
- Quick, effective, stretching exercise videos. Do it as you view it!