Golden State Warriors Basketball Workout.
NBA Finals 2016!
It has been an exciting season of basketball in San Francisco. The Golden State Warriors won the NBA Finals last year and their star player, Stephen Curry, was the League’s MVP. And this year the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors are meeting yet again in a highly anticipated rematch that has basketball fans on the edge of their seats. The entire Bay Area is excited to watch what might be the most epic showdown during the 2016 NBA Finals, will the Warriors defend their title against the Cavaliers? (We sure hope so!)
The basketball energy has been building in the Bay. After Shaquille O’Neal came to my spin class, I’ve been seeing NBA players all over the place. I teach fitness classes at both the Market and Pine Street EQUINOX clubs. The Cleveland Cavaliers have been working out at the Market Street EQUINOX, while all stars like Shaq and Grant Hill have been staying fit at the Pine Street location. Shaq comes to Pine Street so often we’ve become friends (exchanging fist bumps and “whats up” with him gives me a smile all day long). I’m starting to feel like NBA players are following me around…. I must be good luck or something!
The Warriors play with teamwork, hustle, and heart. They inspire us all to get in the game and score in life. All their hard work pays off, after all, rallying from a 3-1 deficit in the Western Conference Finals against OKC is no easy feat, but the Warriors did it, making them 1 out of 10 teams in NBA history to come back from a 3-1 deficit in a 7 game series. They are on a roll and we are all hoping to see them WIN the NBA Finals. Let’s think positive and send them good vibes. Want to cheer them on?! Do this workout, wish them luck, and put good endorphin energy out into the universe.
The below drills are designed to work on your strength, speed, stamina, and agility while burning calories and boosting energy. It’s a challenging workout – as always, please check with a doctor before beginning any new exercise routine. And note: *You DO NOT need a basketball or access to a basketball court field for this workouts. Just a positive attitude, a bottle of water, and some space!
Time for you to be your own MVP! Get in the game and let’s GO WARRIORS!
“Golden State Warriors Basketball Workout”
Warm Up the Court. 10 minutes.
- Easy jog 5 minutes
- Walking Lunge. 20-30.
- Butt kicks (kick your heel towards your butt)
- Squat with side shuffle 1 minute
- High Knees 1 minute
- Plank with mountain climber knees 1 minute
Do 20-30 reps of each move. Work on keeping good form and strengthening your legs, core, and balance.
- Basic Hip bridge. Laying on back bridge hips up into the air. Repeat 10 reps. Then move to single leg bridge (one leg in the air), repeat 10 reps, and switch.
- Basketball Squat. Keep straight arms out in front of you. Focus on keeping shoulders down and core engaged.
- Single leg backwards lunge with knee raise. Do 10-20 reps on one leg and switch. (You can add hop if feeling feisty!)
- Single leg side lateral lunge. Lunging one leg to the side keeping the other straight. Do 10-20 reps on one leg then switch.
- Plie squat with inner thigh slide. Squat with legs wide and toes pointed outward, bring heels together when you stand and separate legs wide to squat again.
Slam dunk Stomach.
Perform each move for 1 minute with 15 seconds rest in-between.
- V Ups.
- Bicycle Crunch
Do each move for 1 minute with 30 seconds rest in-between.
- Burpees. Feel free to add a pushup or squat jump!
- “Basketball” run. Also known as “fast feet” : drop your hips and move your feet out and in.
- Squat hops and shoot the hoop arms up. Squat and jump off ground reaching your arms up in the air in a “shoot the hoop” style.
- Suicides. Sprint out 10-20 yards, squat and touch ground, sprint back ( you can also use distance measure like light poles, street meters)
Once through the circuit is GREAT – you can also repeat the above 2-3 times and go home with a WINNING workout.
Leave me a comment below if you try this workout. Are you watching the NBA Finals?! LET’S GO WARRIORS!!!
Cheering for you,
Other Things to Check Out:
- Shaq Attack Workout Playlist
- How SHAQ ended up in my spin class
- BOOTYcamp Wednesday June 22nd 6:15pm at City Nights Night Club in SF. Friends + Fitness = a Bootylicious fun night of social sweat! REGISTER here and Join us for a healthy hour you won’t forget!
- Why Your Diet Is Making You Fat