Have you ever gotten home from a long day at work and walked straight to your pantry to grab the first thing you find? Before you know it, you’ve gone through half a bag of crackers, gummy bears, or almond butter fingers [aka finger dip, lick, repeat], without even batting an eyelash. If this is at all like you, you should know that you’re not alone. This is a classic problem for many people, generally because they don’t eat enough during the day.
But here’s the good news in all of this… there’s a simple, cost effective, healthful solution to your pantry raiding: HEALTHY SNACKS!
Science says snacking is good for you. The 5,000-subject-strong National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey found that people who ate snacks in addition to three meals a day had higher levels of nutrients in their diets. Healthy snacks are an important part of a balanced diet and can produce ultimate performance. Eating snacks through out the day can keep your energy high and your blood sugar level from dipping. Planned snacking reduces the likelihood of choosing unhealthy foods, over-eating at meal time, or the experiencing energy “crash and burn”. Not only that, but a smart snack can POWER up your workouts and help you achieve all your fitness goals and dreams.
I love sharing workouts with you in class and with our online workout challenges. We’ve been training hard, and I’m proud of you for all of it. But in order to get the MOST from your workouts, you need premimum fuel in your tank. And thats where healthy snacking comes in, helping you power up before, during, and after your training session. I thought this week I’d challenge you to learn how to incorporate healthy snacking into your diet and workout routine. Below is a list of premium training snacks. Some of them are my favorites… others are client’s top picks. All of these are:
- Snacks prepared in less than 5 minutes
- Healthful bites to fuel you for your day. To help you stay energized, alert, and balanced
- EASY. Can be stashed in your desk, car, office, golf bag, gym bag [whatever you’re into] for quick and easy access.
- Low cost: you wont go broke over your snacking! Avoid the vending machines and save your money for fun fitness adventures
- Fruit – Any kind and Im happy 🙂 loving the fall apples right now.
- Quick oats, cinnamon, and ground flax. Click HERE for my favorite oatmeal. Its my #1 on the go snack and favorite breakfast.
- Homemade trail mix: will keep up to 2 months in a jar. Fill Mason jar with cacao nibs, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, prunes, dates, apricots. Look for raw nuts and seeds and unsweetened dried fruit
- Chocolate Milk. This is an AMAZING after workout drink if you can tolerate dairy
- Edamamme. Im Semi-obsessed
- Sushi. If it sits well with you – I say its a GO!
- Hummus and a pita with snap peas
- Raincoast Crisps with coconut butter and dried fruit: Look for dried berries, they’re the bomb!
- Fruit to go bars: although they are not as good as an apple, pear, or any whole fruit [I think you can find organic ones now] they’re a lot better than the candy machine!
- Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars. Love this recipe! Thanks Kath!
- Ryvita crackers with almond butter and jam: look for a jam sweetened with fruit juice
- Apple and almond butter
- Popcorn and coconut oil: popped fresh is best, but if you’re in a time crunch [or there’s no popper at your gym…] throw in a microwavable bag of plain, unsalted popcorn. Sprinkle with sea salt and coconut oil or any season you like!
- Olives: throw a couple in a container in the morning and snack on at any time of the day
- Celery and peanut butter
- Bean salad: 1 can mixed beans, ½ red onion chopped, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup olive oil
- Flax oil, herbs and veggies: mix 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt in 1/4 cup flax oil. Use as a dip for veggies
- Kaia foods kale chips
- Seaweed Snacks
- Coconut chips: long shreds of coconut, you can usually find a health food stores
- Hemp powder & unsweetened almond milk: try to find 250mL servings of almond milk, should keep up to 1 year
- Lara Bars! I like the new cookie dough flavor
- Dried fruit: look for unsulphured, unsweetened, organic dried fruit. Mixing with nuts and seeds will lessen the impact on your blood sugar
- Medjool dates and coconut butter: split open and stuff with coconut butter
- Hummus and veggies: prepare vegetable sticks on Sundays and store in your fridge for a quick get-to meal
- Banana and almond butter
- Toasted bagel with nut butter, banana, and sprinkled coconut: my favorite gluten free bagel isKinnikinnick Foods Tapioca Rice New York Style Plain Bagels [Kinnikinnick bagels are NOT vegan, but there are many others that are!]
- Carrot sticks: plain, simple, and delicious
- Granola: look for a brand that is sweetened with honey (check the ingredients because sometimes they SAY its sweetened with honey and it still has loads of glucose)
- Goat cottage cheese with tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and celery
- Apple and cheese
- Yogurt and trail mix: trail mix – fill Mason jar with cacao nibs, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, prunes, dates, apricots. Look for raw nuts and seeds and unsweetened dried fruit
- Slice of Quality bakery bread and coconut oil: pumpernickel, sunflower rye or rock rye breads
- Granola and chocolate chips
- Greek yogurt with blueberries, granola, and a drizzle of blueberry agave
- Marys crackers with individual sized canned tuna: try to find tuna in water (avoid oil and mayonnaise)
- Hard boiled egg.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
- Turkey melts: 1 slice of bread, 1 slice of leftover turkey, 2 tbsp daiya cheese: put in the toaster oven for 5 minutes
- Pre-cooked chicken: cook, cut into strips and keep in the freezer. Defrost in the morning for an after work snack
This week I challenge you to pack some of these simple snacks into your workout bag for accessible fuel-on-the-go. What is your personal favorite HEALTHY SNACK? Leave a comment below with your top training snack and how you use them to power up your training.
Cant wait to read your healthy snack suggestions and see you in another POWER packed class soon! Have a wonderful week and HAPPY SNACKING!
True story: Im in the airport tired and ready to go home from my most recent trip to L.A. Im almost through security when my bags are pulled over by the airport police. Something inside didnt check out right… so its time to unpack all of my belongings. Everything should be fine… but whats the problem? The raisins, almonds, and oatmeal, my #1 healthy snack option. Just a reminder for when you travel… carry your snacks on with you! You know I cant leave home without my oatmeal 😉
Other things to check out:
- My most recent stretching videos – great for after a long day or training session!
- Cooking Light’s 12 Healthy Snacks.
- Caroline Jordan Fitness WORKOUT ROUNDUP
- Client in the spotlight: the INSPIRING Monika Miethke