The #1 thing that holds people back from reaching their health goals? Limiting Beliefs. Often times we forget that we can be our own biggest obstacles when it comes to reaching our full potential. Limiting beliefs can come from the way you were raised, the people surrounding you, a lack of self-confidence, or even fear – there are many causes. If you nurture limiting beliefs, they’ll rule your behavior ALL your life. Limiting beliefs sound something like this:
- “I’m not athletic enough to have a regular workout program” (so I dont have to)
- “I’ve never been able to lose the fat in my thighs or belly.” (So I wont try)
- “Women shouldn’t workout with weights” (So I’ll stick to the treadmill).
- “People my age cant run/bike/do yoga/lose weight” (so I wont attempt it)
- “I have a bad back/knees/shoulder/hip” (So I’ll remain sedentary)
- “I’m afraid to change because…..” (NOTHING changes!)
These examples illustrate how people allow self-defeating thoughts to rule their activity and in turn, their fitness, their well-being, their ultimate ability to succeed. It’s true, if you believe you are limited your actions will follow suit and you will prove your own beliefs right.
Good news is that limiting belief systems are learned behaviors and if you can learn it, you can also UN-learn it. When you are ready, you can overcome mental obstacles and make your goals possible.
Here’s the thing: fitness isn’t about how you look. Its about how you FEEL, perform, and what you can achieve. We’re emotional and spiritual beings. How you look is a side effect of how a regular workout program affects your physical capabilities, your mental toughness, your ability to achieve. And whats one of the biggest programs we all face? We are emotionally overstressed and physically under-stressed. We live sedentary lives while never dragging our emotional garbage out on to the curb – anxiety, disappointment, fear, sadness, frustration, anger – you name it. We steep in our own stress hormones, doing nothing to release the pain. In order to lead a happy, healthy life you have to train INWARDLY just as aggressively as you train outwardly. Health is an inside -> out process.
To attack limiting or negative belief systems, realize you must work on strengthening your mindset first. If your mental, emotional, and spiritual side – your inner self – is out of shape, you’ll never find the kind of success in life you hope to find – no matter how hard you work towards your goals. This means you have to condition your mind the same way you condition your body – with specific exercises designed to help you. Below are a few things you can do that will help you strengthen your MIND and live a positive life. Give your mind a workout with all of these exercises and you’ll see incredibly positive results!
Mind Workout Routine: Exercises to whip your inner self into shape. Work on your mental strength and positive attitude with these exercises daily, weekly, or as much a possible to strengthen your life from the inside -> out.
- Get to know yourself and hang out on a regular basis. Get in touch with who you are, what you want, and what thoughts could potentially block you from going after it. Don’t push your desires and emotions in a back corner. Take time to regularly get in touch with your emotional self. Journal, meditate, go for a walk, work with a coach, make a vision board, paint, whatever works. Allowing time to feel your emotions and self-reflect will help you live in an intentional way and heal any mental wounds that may be blocking you from your goals.
- Strengthen your Brain. This one is most important. You must train your brain to think positive instead of negative. Just like you would strengthen your muscles, your brain works the same way. Instead of self-destructive thoughts repeat positive, life affirming statements to yourself. Try affirmations like, “I am healthy, strong, and full of energy.” The more you train the brain to think positive the stronger it will get on focusing on the good in life. And since positive thoughts inspire positive results, by training your brain in this way you will bring more happiness into your life and will feel empowered to achieve your goals.
- Surround yourself with people who LIFT you higher. Its hard to believe in yourself when you are around people who bring you down or discourage you from going after your goals. You MUST make an effort to meet and engage with positive-minded, high-performing people. They lift you up and show you the way every time.
- Have an ATTITUDE of gratitude. Research has shown that gratitude is linked with positive emotions including contentment, happiness, and hope. At some point during the day, make a simple list of five or ten things that you are grateful for in your life. We have talked about the power of keeping a gratitude journal in this space before. It’s amazing how simply taking the time to count your blessings goes FAR in helping you live a life you love.
- Get Inspired. Is there a teacher, book, song, or photo that moves you at a deeper level? Next time you feel limited, connect to the people and things that inspire you most. When Im out of sorts, a class with Stephanie Snyder Yoga, article from Oprah, or talk from TED turns my entire day around for good. Make the effort to connect to the things that make your heart sing and inspire you to dig deeper and go after your goals.
I believe that the mental strength is the secret to reaching your FULL POTENTIAL. The first step is knowing who you are and what you want. And then the secret sauce to REALLY start making changes is a positive mental attitude. It’s so easy to slip into a negative mindset, especially if it has been that way for years. But if you commit to eliminate those tendencies in yourself, you will see your thoughts gradually change from negative to positive. I challenge you to train your brain to attack limiting beliefs and negative thoughts. Get connected to your emotional and spiritual self – your inner strength. Do the work to be strong from the inside out and you will LIVE WITHOUT LIMITS.
Here to watch you fly free from fears and live the life of your dreams. Anything is possible when you believe 🙂