Want to have a healthy Superbowl? Read my healthy Superbowl guide for winning recipes and a workout to help you get game day ready and feel your best.
Want to host a healthy Superbowl sunday? Read on for my guide on how to host a healthy Superbowl party.
Sharing time with people you enjoy, delicious food, and unforgettable commercials – the Superbowl is always a good time. But unfortunately, along with the fun of the party comes lots of calories and sitting (not really a winning combination). According to an article in the USA Today, Super Bowl parties are second to Thanksgiving when it comes to the number of calories consumed. If we are not careful, we could eat our daily intake of calories, doubled, during one super bowl game.
DO NOT FEAR!!!!
I have created a healthy superbowl guide to help you. Below are my choice football party recipes and workout videos to get you game day ready. You might be surprised how delicious choosing a healthier superbowl celebration is and you’ll feel so good you’ll have ample energy for the after parties. With these resources you can prepare a game day plan that wins all around. Have fun, be safe, and may the best team win! TOUCHDOWN!
Healthy Superbowl Guide.
Healthy SuperBowl Recipes.
Plan ahead and cook up a few nutritious recipes so that you have something healthy to serve at your party. Here are a few of my favorites:
Healthy Superbowl Crispy Kale Chips
Ditch the Doritos and put out a bowl of these (healthy) bad boys instead. To make them, simply wash kale, dress with olive oil and a bit of sea salt, and roast in the oven until crunchy and crispy.
- 1 large bunch of kale (I used the curly kind)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wash kale, remove the inner rib or stem, and tear into chip-size pieces. Make the pieces a little larger than you want the chips because they will shrink.
- The kale must be thoroughly dried. I ran it through a salad spinner, laid it out on paper towels for 5 minutes, and then ran it through the spinner once more.
- Put the kale pieces in a gallon plastic baggie and add the olive oil. “Massage” the kale to ensure that each piece has a coating of oil.
- Arrange the kale in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or you can place them right on the sheet). You may need a to use more than one sheet or bake in batches.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. Use a bit less than you think you need because the kale shrinks and the salt intensifies.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the kale is crisp and slightly browned.
If the chips last more than 5 minutes (mine never do) you can store them for 2 days in an airtight container or bag. Make sure they are cooled thoroughly before storing.
Healthy Superbowl Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Rosemary ( adapted from FeedMePhoebe)
Makes 2-4 servings
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the olive oil, rosemary, salt, and paprika until well incorporated.
3. Arrange the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, redistributing once during the cooking process, until browned and crispy. Allow to cool slightly – they will get even crisper and firmer as they come to room temperature.
Healthy Superbowl Root Vegetable and Black Bean Chili (Gluten/Dairy Free from FeedMePhoebe)
Makes 10 servings
This chili is the perfect earthy blend of sweet and spicy. If you want to get even more rich flavor out of the vegetables, roast them until they are nice and caramelized and then add them to the stew. You’ll cut down on your stove-top cook time, and the extra step is worth it. If you can’t find chile negro any mild dried chili will work here.
- 2 ounces dried chile negro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 28-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 small parsnips, peeled and diced
- 4 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1. Place the chiles in a bowl and submerge in boiling hot water. Soak for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour. Remove the chiles from the water, reserving the liquids. Rinse off the seeds and skin and discard along with the stems. Place the cleaned chiles in a small food processor along with 1/2 cup of roughly chopped cilantro stems, the garlic, and 1/2 cup of soaking liquids. Puree until you get a fine paste, adding more liquid as necessary.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large lidded Dutch oven over a medium-high flame. Saute the onion and carrots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. You want the spices to get nice and toasted. Carefully pour in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the sweet potatoes, parsnips, black beans, black chile paste, and remaining soaking liquid. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, adding one or two cups of water if necessary. You want a soupy consistency, as the chili will thicken as it simmers.
Simmer, partly covered for 20 minutes, until the potatoes and parsnips are tender. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer 5 minutes more. Ladel the chili in bowls and serve!
Healthy Superbowl Happy Tummy Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies (paleo friendly!)
- *2 & 2/3 Cups Almond Flour
- *1 Tsp Baking Soda,
- *2 Tsp Pure Vanilla
- *1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup.(If you are trying to watch your calories you can use a light syrup) Or try calorie free NuNaturals Nustevia Simple Syrup
- *3 Packets NuNaturals Stevia. (Optional)
- *2 Large Eggs
- *1 & 1/2 Cups Enjoy Life Gluten and Dairy Free Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips.
- *1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, Melted.
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- Grease the baking sheet. Mix the almond flour and baking soda together.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, vanilla, and syrup.
- Mix together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl.
- Mix the chocolate chunks into the batter. You can get creative and add whatever additional ingredients you’d like. Some awesome options would be: unsweetened dried fruit, walnuts, pecans, coconut, cranberries, mint leaves, or cherries!
- Melt the coconut oil and mix it into the batter. The original recipe said it was okay to add extra almond flour if your batter ends up being too runny but my batter stayed firm. I guess it all depends on the quality of your coconut oil.
- Drop the cookies onto the sheet. (about 1 & 1/2 tablespoon) The dough is trickier to work with because it has no flour. Don’t be afraid to get your fingers sticky! Place them on the GREASED baking sheet and press down into a cookie form with your hands.
- Bake about 10-11 minutes. Let them cool for about two minutes.
- Remove from the baking sheet and add to a cooling rack or a separate plate.
- Let cookies cool (if you can wait that long and ENJOY!
Healthy Superbowl Workouts: “Get in the Game”!
Fuel a healthy SuperBowl Sunday with POWER by getting your workout in before the first commercial. The below drills are designed to work on your strength, speed, stamina, and agility while burning calories and boosting energy. It’s a challenging series – as always, please check with a doctor before beginning any new exercise routine. And note: *You DO NOT need a football or access to a football field for these workouts. Just a positive attitude, a bottle of water, and some space! ; )
Running/Jogging Warm Up Drills. 10 minutes.
- Easy jog 5 minutes
- Walking Lunge. 20-30.
- Butt kicks (kick your heel towards your butt)
- Squat with side shuffle 1 minute
- High Knees 1 minute
- Plank with mountain climber knees 1 minute
“Make a Tight End”
Build a “tight end” with my free “build a better butt” workout videos! I have two videos just for you to help you strengthen and shape a tight derriere. These all-level workout videos include some of the most effective bodyweight butt, hip, thigh, and leg exercises. You don’t need any equipment and can do them at home before the game starts! As always, check with your doctor before starting this or any other exercise routine. Be mindful and pay attention to your form. Modify as needed to prevent injury and get the most out of your time exercising!
Part One : “Build a Better Butt Workout” Standing Series.
Part Two: “Build a Better Butt Workout” Floor Series
Bring a Superbowl SIXpack.
Bring your six pack to your super bowl party and you’ll feel GREAT 😉 . Take 8 minutes to work through this quick, effective ab workout video. This video is appropriate for all levels and involves a some of the most effective moves for stronger, tighter stomach muscles. A short, effective combination of planks, sit ups, v sits, pilates teasers, and other challenging abdominal strengthening moves to work both the upper and lower abdominals. Do a little bit or all of it for a core workout that will make you feel great long after half time.
Cardio BURST: TOUCHDOWN
This high-impact cardio circut will get you sweating in less than 10 minutes. Its a challenging all-levels workout that works the entire body, doesn’t require any equipment, and includes the perfect mix of cardio exercises. It’s a winning combination – you’ll feel like such a rockstar when you’re done you might need your OWN halftime show. Its a feel good, endorphin rush. Give it a try pre-kickoff and let me know what you think!
Once through the circuit is GREAT – you can also repeat the above 2-3 times and go home with a longer workout.
If you liked the above recipes and workout videos, SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel and share it with your friends on Facebook, twitter, or email. Join the community online and get the support you need to live a healthy, happy life you love.
Wishing you a safe and healthy Superbowl celebration. Now get focused, put on your game face, and get ready to “BRING IT”. Im positive you’ll have a healthy Superbowl. TOUCHDOWN!
For more uplifting feel good fitness Check out my book, Balanced Body Breakthrough. It will help you keep your mind, body, and spirit in great shape !!
Other Things To Check Out:
- How can you achieve your fitness goals? BE NICE TO YOURSELF. My interview with RackedSF!
- SAVE THE DATE! Spring Wellness Retreat Weekend March 21 and 22 with Caroline Jordan Fitness at SOLAGE Resort Calistoga. If you would like to be a part of my next fitness and spa experience at this luxury resort, email me at email@example.com to get more information and save your space in Calistoga in March!
- Top Three Favorite Bodyweight Exercises for “Tank Top” Arms with Sara Plummer of Get Healthy, Sexy, Happy.