Are you looking to make 2019 your healthiest year yet? As a fitness and health coach, I am always working with clients on how to make them stronger physically and mentally year after year. During our coaching sessions, my clients create specific goals to commit to. From there I help them take action to make results happen! Here are some of the top New Years resolution goals clients have set during our sessions. I share them with you to inspire your 2019 to be healthier, happier, and full of positive outcomes!
5 New Years Resolution Goals That Will Change Your Year For the Better.
- Put the phone to bed. Would your life benefit from a digital detox? Setting boundaries for how much time you spend on your phone can have dramatic effects on your sleep, focus, and stress. Create specific “no phone” times throughout your day and put the phone away! My no phone zones are in the morning before 9am and in the evening after 9pm. I put the phone on “do not disturb” and leave it OUT of my bedroom. Yes, sometimes you need to bend the rules to talk to your brother or address a work dilemma. But for the most part, if you stick to having “no phone” boundaries throughout your year you will sleep better, feel better, and be healthier!
- Strengthen your mental fitness. Do you struggle with anxiety, mood swings, or feeling down? Schedule set time to work on your mental wellbeing in your week, month, and year. Whether thats meeting with a coach for talk therapy, journaling, joining a support group, or working with a physician on something more specific, investing in your mental health is well worth it. Many of my coaching clients focus too much on their outsides and not enough on their insides. But when they spend time and energy on the state of their mental health, they impress themselves with incredible results in every area of their lives. I offer coaching for mental fitness (contact me here if you feel you could benefit from some mindset pushups).
- Step out of your comfort zone. Put scaring yourself a little into your 2019 agenda. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is such an incredible way to grow and tap into your highest potential. Whether it’s mixing things up within the fitness routine you’ve already established, or trying out a brand new workout class, becoming comfortable with the uncomfortable is sure to start your new year out with a bang. So, for example, say you’ve never given weightlifting a genuine try before. Perhaps now is the perfect time to venture into that uncharted territory. From stronger bones, to a sharper brain, to higher self-esteem, including some weights in your 2019 routine can benefit you both physically and mentally. Now, before you roll your eyes and tell me the weight room is far too scary, remember that your resolution doesn’t have to involve anything intimidating. Start with my Strong Body program, a coached course to teach you HOW to strength train properly and see results. Its the perfect start to developing a consistent strength training routine in your life. Step out of your comfort zone and join us!
- Eat your greens. Ok so you’ve heard this one a thousand times before. But guess what? It works. The more greens you eat, the better you feel. Greens are detoxifying, slimming, energizing, and just plain amazing. They boost your immunity and lower your risk of disease. To make this New Years resolution goal super easy, shoot for having one green salad a day made with at least a full cup of kale, arugula, or spinach. Other great places to throw in greens are in your breakfast smoothie in the morning, as a vegetable side at dinner, or in a simple soup. If you follow my instagram stories, you know I love to steam up a large bowl of greens every night with dinner. I throw everything in my mix: kale, spinach, asparagus, squash, broccoli, cabbage…. if its a vegetable, I want it in there! Here is an article with some more simple ideas to make getting your greens easy. This is one New Years resolution goal that will help your skin shine and your year feel well nourished.
- Find a workout you LOVE and stick with it. 2019 is the time to commit to moving your body in a way that feels amazing. The number one reason most people have trouble being consistent with exercise is that they simply don’t enjoy their workouts. It makes me sad when exercise is seen as something you have to do instead of something you want to do. If you absolutely loved your workout, looked forward to it all day long, how likely would you be to skip it? Think beyond the treadmill, your workouts don’t need to be limited to the gym studio. If you hate cardio, no amount of guilting yourself is going to get you on that elliptical machine. Instead, sign up for a salsa or hip-hop class. If fitness classes aren’t your thing, join a sports club team, go rock climbing, or take a pole dancing class. If leaving your house in the winter is what’s standing in your way, try a Peleton bike (or put your road bike on a trainer), get a bunch of awesome videos for types of movement you actually enjoy, or just check out free videos on YouTube.
Those are just a few of the great New Years resolution goals my coaching clients are setting for a successful year ahead. How will you make 2019 your healthiest year yet? What New Years resolution goal are you committing to? Let me know in the comments below, Id love to hold you accountable!
I believe in you and your ability to succeed! If you’ve struggled in the past to stick with your goals long term, Id love to help you. Learn more about virtual coaching here and contact me to get started. 2019 is YOUR year to feel good.
Cheers to making 2019 your healthiest, happiest New Year yet!
Other things to check out: