Want to be a New Year’s Resolution success? Read on for my top coaching steps on how to be a New Year’s Resolution success and the #1 secret to make your positive resolution results last.
Did you know only 8% of people that set a resolution actually achieve their goals? 92% of people have good intentions but just abandon them after a few weeks or so.
We can do better than that. I know it.
And 2017 is the year to make what you want HAPPEN.
I want to help you succeed and make your goals a reality! I want to help you be the person you want to be. What do you want for your life in 2017? Here are my top coaching steps on how to be a New Years Resolution success and the #1 secret to make your positive resolution results last.
Steps for New Years Resolution Goal Success:
- Create a clear vision. Creating a clear vision helps you choose where you want to go in life and motivates you even when the going gets tough. What is the outcome you want from your resolution? What will your life look like if you achieve your goal? That is your vision, the positive end result.
- Make a powerful visual reminder. Creating vision boards is considered by many to be a vital step on the road to success. Since positive, focused thinking is the key to achieving goals, pinpointing what those goals are and having something tangible to symbolize them is an essential part of the process.Read my guide on how to make a Vision Board for goals that have lasting power. I make one for every new year and swear by it’s magic powers.
- Pace yourself. There’s no better way to get sick of something than to do it too much, too hard, and too often, to the exclusion of other pursuits and activities. Take your time and don’t hurry things. There’s no need to do several marathons in your first year of running or become fully sugar free in 30 days. Slowly build upon layers of learning, growing, and small wins. With that approach, you’ll be able to accomplish your resolutions without burning out.
- Get SMART. Goals make resolutions real. Your resolutions need to be SMART to work: Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, and Time Bound. When helping clients set goals, I always tell them to act like a news reporter. If your goal was on the news, what would be the who, what, when, where, and why? Cover all the bases when defining and describing your goal. For example: Goal: “I want to get strong”Specific goal: “I will complete a strength routine using 10 to 20 exercises, targeting all my major muscle groups, for 20 minutes at least twice a week to build strength and fitness”Goal: “I will be less stressed.”Specific goal: “Every workday at 3:00 p.m. I will take a regular break to get outside, go for a walk, and de-stress.”Goal: “I will eat healthier meals.”
Specific goal: “I will make a grocery list and shop every Saturday morning for at least five days of meals and snacks per week.” Or “I will use eatingwell.com for meal plans, grocery lists, recipes, and guides.”
Having specific and measurable goals will lead to success, because the goals are attainable. It’s easier to make progress when you know you are making progress.
- Avoid quick fixes and extremes. Quick-fix solutions like a “30-Day Diet,” “Fit in 5,” or “10 Days to Calm.” are typically not sustainable long term and can lead to negative outcomes. When we expect immediate results or it’s too much to handle all at once, we get discouraged, burnt out, and quit. It doesn’t have to be that way, you can accomplish your resolutions without resorting to extremes. Just go about it in the right way. Customize your approach to your resolutions by setting SMART goals tailored to your personality, prefrences and unique lifestyle. Use chapter one of Balanced Body Breakthrough to help you.
- Come up with solutions for potential challenges. Think about what has gotten in your way in the past or potential excuses that might prevent you from achieving your goals. Forgetting? No time? Losing interest? Not knowing where to begin? Write down foreseeable challenges and create strategies in advance for dealing with them. That way you won’t get sidelined or lose forward momentum when they arise. Think ahead and be prepared to overcome obstacles on your path to success.
- Drop the “all or nothing” mindset. This mentality sets you up to feel guilty eventually and is why so many people struggle to succeed. Expecting to stick to a structured plan for an extended period of time without ever deviating is unrealistic. Things happen and life can get in the way – through illness, other obligations, exhaustion, different opportunities, etc – it is impossible for everything to go “perfectly”. Let go of the black and white thinking and make achieveing your goals about progress not perfection.
- Embrace mistakes. You can’t make positive change if you beat yourself up every time you mess up. Mistakes are part of the process. Whats important is what you choose to respond from slipups. Learn, grow, and pick yourself up. Mistakes are proof that you are trying and as long as you choose to grow better from each one, you’ll make progress. Remember it doesn’t matter if you fall down, it matters if you pick yourself back up.
All of the above will help you be a New Years Resolution success. But what’s the #1 key that will make all your positive accomplishments last?
This is the key.
When it comes to achieveing goals, people are generally accountable only to themselves and often that isn’t enough. Having a strong support network helps ensure that you will remain on track and maintain positive changes in your life. What people, resources, systems, and environments can you draw on to help you realize your resolutions, overcome challenges, and sustain positive change? Communicate your goals to your network and ask them to support you. Choose to surround yourself with people who have a positive impact on your lifestyle and goals. No person is an island, it’s truly challenging to accomplish goals or live a positive life without a community supporting your success. Find your tribe and make your support network. You do not have to do this alone.
Every month, I host large events to help you connect with other positive people who can support your mental, physical, spiritual health. At these events you’ll meet others who can support you in your resolutions and in making 2017 healthy, happy, and fulfilling. Some of my closest relationships have come because of these meetups. My next event is January 10th 2017, a “ROCK YOUR RESOLUTION” workout to give you what you need to get 2017 started on a high note. Join the party and connect to those who can help you make the New Year better for you. Register here.
What do you think is the #1 key for achieving a New Years Resolution goal? Let me know in the comments below.
When we set out to achieve a New Years Resolution, change a habit, or bring a dream into being, ultimately we are involved in a bigger act of conscious self-creation. Rather than being stuck with the way we are now, we can actually choose the habits of the mind and the qualities of the soul we wish to be. We can consciously choose the behaviors and skills we wish to learn, the life we wish to have, and follow through to a successful conclusion. In this way, creating a new habit brings us to precious spiritual gifts: hope – that our future will be brighter than today through the efforts we make – and faith: that we can bring into being more of what we desire in ourselves and in our lives. What more do we need to weave a life of meaning, purpose, and beauty?
And while you’re out there making decisions instead of excuses, learning new things, and getting closer and closer to your goals, know that there are others out there, like me, who admire your efforts and are striving for greatness too. Each of us has the opportunity to change and grow till our very last breath. Keep going. Keep growing. Keep creating a life you love. I’m cheering for you my friend.
Wishing you a happy and blessed New Year,
Want to build a balanced body? Check out my book, Balanced Body Breakthrough and get your mind, body, and spirit in great shape so you can love your life.
Other Things To Check Out This Week:
- Secrets to Lasting Lifestyle Change. Rome Wasnt Built in a Day. GREAT read for those of you looking make a healthy lifestyle change (and keep it!).
- The Myths of Self Care. How to be Nicer to Yourself starting now. Because self love really is the #1 first step towards success.
- How Important is a REST day? For those of you hitting it hard in the gym