Healthy Travel Food! Here are the best foods to pack to help you stay fit, lose weight, and eat right on the road.
Hungry to stay fit on the road? Pack some of these healthy travel foods in your carry on and fuel your travels with high quality nutrition.
One of my most successful corporate wellness programs is my “Thrive: Wellbeing on the Road”. I get excited helping others find ways to maintain their energy and health while traveling. I believe that no matter where life takes you there is a way to feel good and be good to yourself.
The truth is, traveling can be exhausting and stressful, which can often challenge your best intentions to eat well. But traveling doesn’t have to be an obstacle if you have resources and healthy habits to support you.
I thought it would be helpful to share some of my favorite healthy travel foods with you. Don’t get caught hungry with your travel pants down and stuck eating unhealthy airport food because it’s the only thing you have available to you. Plan ahead and prepare for success by packing any of the healthy options below with you.
Note: A lot of the items below you can find at Safeway and/or Whole Foods. I’ve provided links to where you can find these items on the internet too, which is my preferred method to buy things so I am not always hunting around for the items I love at multiple stores. Amazon Prime, free two day shipping, is a godsend. Click, ship, and go travel fit.
Best healthy travel foods to pack before you leave for the airport to fuel your jet-packed life:
- Pack small bags of organic quick cooking rolled oats, cinnamon, and raisins. I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oats (the best!). They have hot water pretty much anywhere and you can make an instant and satisfying meal anytime of day, not just for breakfast. You can even leave out the raisins and add walnuts, a cut up an apple, or mix in or anything you like.
- Buy little packs of dried organic green powder – my choice is the ALOHA daily greens and Whole-Food Powder Blends. You can visit ALOHA to Learn More Here. This is nice when you don’t have access to a lot of green vegetables. Mix with water or a carton of coconut water for a quick hydrating treat.
- Chia seeds contain Omega 3 Fatty Acids, help keep your body stay hydrated, and contain a bunch of fiber. When they mix with water they expand like gel and make your drink thicker. Make little baggies of them and take them with you and put in your pocket or purse before you go out for the day. You can add seeds to yogurt, salads, or drinks. I use Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds.
- Pack your favorite fresh fruits (apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, berries, etc) and pre-cut veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, zucchini, squash, peapods, etc.) These go a long way after a long flight. They have a quick boost of fiber and keep hunger at bay until you can find your first meal upon arrival.
- I love the sweet crunch of Nature’s All freeze dried fruit. Easy to pack, no mess, and partners great with a bowl of quick oats.
- “Justin’s Organic Almond Butter” in single serve packages is amazing for a travel treat. Just open and squeeze into your mouth or on a whole wheat cracker like Mary’s Gone Crackers, my travel cracker of choice.
- Single serving protein powder packs can save the day and curb the edge off hunger. Vega makes great single serving packets of all natural plant based protein that are perfect for travel. I love all the flavors, but the berry is my favorite. Check out Vega One (for super nutrition) or Vega Sport for extra protein.
- Take homemade trail mix and make little pre made baggies portioned out for something to snack on. Mix up your favorite raw almonds, walnuts, seeds, carob chips, dates, dried coconut, or raisins. If you don’t have time to make your own, pick up some of Eden Farms all natural trail mixes – they have great blends with yummy mixings. A trailmix can last forever in your suitcase and can be a real pick me up.
- Pack some Prunes, these little single serving packs are made for travel. They are chewy, sweet, fill you up and keep you regular on vacation (I know a lot of people who mention this problem all the time!)
- Beef Jerky makes for a delicious snack with a powerful protein punch. Check out Krave jerky in fun flavors and pre-portioned bags.
- Craving cookies? Bring the healthier option with you and avoid the temptation of a less than satisfying 500 calorie cookie at the airport coffee shop. Try the Go Raw cookies in carrot cake, sweet crunch, or choco crunch. These crunchy cookies don’t crumble and contain no added or refined sugars.
- If you are a chip person who is looking for a healthier option, Bare Snacks Apple chips are the BEST. Im totally addicted. Low in calories, fat free, and full of fiber.
- Pack any of these all natural protein bars with you. All of these have at least 10 grams of muscle-building protein and no more than 15 grams of sugar.
- Air travel dehydrates you and it’s important to drink 8 ounces of water for every hour you are in the air. Make hydration taste good with ALOHA or Yogi Teas. Keeping yourself well hydrated will also help curb cravings, manage hunger, and boost energy.
- Resist the snickers bar by having healthier all natural chocolate with you. Im in love with Alter Eco chocolate in mint flavor and of course the ALOHA chocolate which only has 4g of sugar for the entire bar!
Your turn: What are your favorite healthy travel foods? Let me know in the comments below, I’m always looking for new healthy food ideas! If you know someone who is traveling soon or needs healthy travel food suggestions, please share this post with them.
No matter where you are headed, I am here to help you reach your destination feeling your best. The last thing you should worry about when you’re traveling is eating well. I hope the list above helped give you some ideas on how to fuel fit travel. Another way to ensure smooth travels is to book one of my Healthy Travel wellness workshops for your event, retreat, or offsite. I can help your team create energizing habits that make for a productive and powerful business trip. Contact me at : email@example.com to learn more about my corporate wellness services. I am here to see you live well.
Other Things To Check Out This Week:
- Five minutes, Five Favorite Ab Moves, Fast Results!
- Spring Break Workout Music Playlist.
- Exercise at your Desk? YES!